Sunday, February 12, 2006

Olympian of the Day




Gonna do a new thing here. Every day, well, at the end of every day, I'll pick a new Olympian of the day. The criteria isn't too specific, just someone who captures my attention, someone whose story, performance, reaction, success, or failure in some way makes them even more exceptional. We'll start with U.S. Speedskater Chad Hedrick who, I hope, is making his first of at least two appearances here. Hedrick won the men's 5,000 meter race Sunday, an event that was dominated forever, it seems, by the Norwegians (remember Johan Olaf Koss?) Even better, this is just the start for Hedrick. He wants to win five gold medals, equaling Eric Heiden's massive haul.

Also, the Washington Post's Dan Steinberg is running a blog from Turin (note, if you ever see the word "Torino" appear outside of quotation marks on this site, you are within your rights to punch me.) He's had some interesting notes so far, including an account of a day at the Oval Lingotto in a section full of Dutch maniacs. Good times. God I love this stuff.

That's all of the five-rings stuff now, but since I'm a serious Olympic nut (I have had the NBC Olympic theme running through my head nonstop since Friday night), expect to see more

Non Olympic stuff: Phil Mushnick wrote yesterday about the tragic death of a young boy, and how his memory is coming to mind after the debut of a new Nike commercial. It's a good little read, and one more reason to utterly detest the swoosh.

No comments: