Monday, April 03, 2006

Hello again...

Hi there. Long time no blah blah blah. Just saw "V for Vendetta." Got plenty to say about it, but it might have to wait until I see it again and can process some of the things in it. I'll say now that I thought it was amazing.

For now, just wanted to clear a few things out. Ebert's review of V is pretty confusing. Other than the three stars he gave it, I really have no idea what he thinks of the movie. All I can gather is that he didn't like the result of the climactic scene for wholly personal reasons, and that he doesn't like the fact that V wears a mask, because as he says, "if something talks, its lips should move."

Uh, OK Roger.

Anyway, that was kind of disappointing, because no matter what he thinks of it, I always get something out of Ebert's reviews. He looks at movies a lot like I do, and reviews them not for the quality of what they depict, but the quality of how and why they are depicted. I believe he made the point about "Armageddon" that I truly agree with, which is that it was a good movie because it accomplished what it was supposed to. Moving on...

I had this story in my favorites for about three months, and finally got around to reading the whole thing the other day. It follows a casualty assistance officer in the Marines, whos job it is to notify and then assist a family whose loved one died in service overseas. It's very touching, very eye-opening, and far too powerful for anyone to read who has gone through this, or who has a loved one overseas. If you don't fit either of those categories, I wholeheartedly recommend that you read it. It will not affect your feelings on war, or at least that's not its intent, nor is that my intent in posting it. It's about humanity. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Three things:

1. Nice to see you and Frank post on the same day. Did you coordinate that?

2. Roger Ebert is amazing. Anyone who reads him religiously will change the way they look at movies/movie reviews.

3. I'm shocked SHOCKED! that you loved a movie with Natalie Portman in it. My over/under for you seeing it in the theater is 6.5 times.