Friday, August 05, 2005

I haven't read Moneyball

I said it. Now leave me alone. I'll get to it. I'm in the middle of "Da Vinci Code" right now, and my quest to catch up to all the ridiculously huge trends in pop culture is continuing past that. However, I have at least some kind of grasp on what's going on in the book, and the arguments for/against it.

I'm not so sure Joe Morgan does. This piece shows just how anti-Moneyball Morgan is, and also alludes rather forcefully to his inability to STFU and analyze the game. I love Jon Miller, and his voice is definitely a favorite sound of summer. But I don't watch much "Sunday Night Baseball" because of Morgan. Still, the writer of this article could have toned down his own cattiness a little and probably gotten the same quality story. Either way, worth a read if you're a baseball nut.

I was going to do a big link-bonanza for this, but I'm having trouble finding photos of any offending uniforms. Regardless, I think this is a good and bold move by the NCAA in spirit, though I also think that the blanket of "offensive nicknames" is a little too large. For instance, take the case at Quinnipiac University (nee College), where the administration decided, essentially on its own, that the Braves moniker was too offensive. This is, for the record, a school whose name is taken from Native American language.

So they had one of those goofy debates and votes for the new mascot, which turned out to be the Bobcat. Not a terrible selection, but also unoriginal, and unnecessary. In my 22 years of living, the following things have seemed to infuriate the Native American community: the Atlanta/Seminole chop and chant, the "Redskin" nickname, and Chief Wahoo and his ilk. Whereas I believe there is a great honor in naming your team the Warriors or the Braves, the Seminoles, or the Illini. It's a measure of respect, I feel, to use powerful symbolism from our neighbors' culture in our sporting garb.

Instead, we have this silly sense that any reference to Native American culture is offensive. The Providence College mascot is the Friar. Should we change it to avoid upsetting priests and christians in general? No, because it isn't an offensive term. If I had my way, I'd certainly eliminate some mascots and nicknames. "Indians?" gone. "Redskins?" Double gone, with an extra 15 yard penalty for excessive ignorance. Chief Wahoo, see ya. Tomahawk Chop, buh-bye, until a member of the Seminole tribe comes to Turner Field and Doak Campbell Stadium and teaches the crowds a real war chant to take your place. But one of my favorite nicknames, in ALL sports (and remember, I'm a fan of English soccer), is the Wamps of Braintree High in Massachusetts. Seriously, the "Wamps"? How great is that name? It's short for the Wampanoag Tribe, which inhabited parts of this area before my ancestors introduced them to the concept of relocation by force, AND it's an awesomely forceful word. It's so onomatopoeic, too. WAMP!

Either way, it's good to see the NCAA taking a stand, but this is like using a shotgun to make selections on the baseball all-star ballot. There are a lot of perfectly fine nicknames that will get the hatchet in a few years because of this.


1st ADD -- By the way, Jim just set up a ridiculously comprehensive Fantasy Football page, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. You can reach it by going to his blog, which is Swine Lair, and is listed on the right side of THIS page. Go. Go now. And tell all your friends.

No comments: