So, I'm not quite ready to write my "Cinderella Man" review yet, and I think it's usually a good idea to take a day or two before I review anyway. So I'll just say that I liked this movie so much that I'm frustrated it doesn't have a chance at an Oscar, since the Academy certainly won't go for two boxing movies in consecutive years.
I will say this.
Bill Simmons and I have gone our seperate ways idealistically and culturally. I used to only read Simmons' pop-culture stuff, since I didn't give a rat's patoot about the NBA. Now, I can't deal with his non-sports thoughts. His review of "Cinderella Man" explains why. He totally missed the point, as he has on other movies, and if he can't make it relate to his beloved crap-ass 80's sitcoms and half-baked cinema comedies, it's no good. On Ron Howard's Movies: "He has been involved in a whopping seven movies that were cool ideas but left me feeling they should have been better – 'Backdraft,' 'Parenthood,' 'The Paper,' 'Apollo 13' (I thought this was long and pretentious), 'Ransom,' 'The Missing,' and 'EdTV' (a really funny idea that should have worked). But since he has a résumé of 80's comedies ("Night Shift," "Cocoon," "Splash" and "Gung Ho"), as well as an Oscar-winning masterpiece ("A Beautiful Mind")." Seriously, he just whittled Ron Howard's career down to this: The tremendous Backdraft, Apollo 13, and even Ransom sucked, but the likeable-but-severely-dated Michael Keaton Comedies were Howard's HIGH POINTS (oh, and he directed that Oscar Winner too). If he can't make a Karate Kid link, or nobody in the movie does something that rates high on his beloved "Unintentional Comedy Meter," it's not worth his time. One of Simmons' biggest complaints? That the cutting in the unbelievably visceral and brutal boxing scenes was too fast. Get over it, Bill, you're not supposed to be watching a boxing match, you're supposed to feel the frantic pace of a fight. That was Howard's decision. Cripes.
No comments:
Post a Comment