Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hello again

Welcome back. Or welcome for the first time. Either way, really.

So I had planned on blogging soon anyway, but Jim went and mentioned my blog (and its utter lack of activity) on his, so once again I felt compelled to get back to this thing. Hopefully it'll stick.

On to the ramblings.

The NHL All-Star game would be interesting enough on its own, especially with Crosby and Ovechkin playing on a line together for the first time. Add to that the fact that the league is unveiling its new jersey template, though the linked photo only represents the sleeker cut of the jerseys. When the teams make the switch to the new sweater to start the 2007-08 season, most will retain their current look and design. That didn't stop someone from sending in a photoshopped suggestion to the Uni Watch column on ESPN.com's Page 2. Here is the "hypothetical mockup." WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR READERS WITH TASTE OR ANY SENSE OF WHAT A HOCKEY JERSEY SHOULD LOOK LIKE. I emailed Paul Lukas (the author of Uni Watch), and he assured me that it was a wholly reader-created image, and not something leaked from the league. In related news, Paul Lukas more than likely has already signed the pertinent paper work to take out an electronic restraining order against me. Alas.

As an aside, I'm a big fan of the Uni Watch column. Always full of some interesting things, though sometimes some seriously odd items. I'm sure I've written about it here before, but I wanted to repeat my sentiments. Through it, I also found out that the Columbus Blue Jackets are retiring their original logo (A C and B in red, white, and blue ribbon, with...oh hell, here.) for the newer third jersey logo. A big improvement, if you ask me, though it makes my authentic Greg Mauldin practice jersey that much more obsolete.

Alright. Now, two days after the game, I don't think anyone is going to need another thousand-word screed on the Patriots' loss (although I'll say this: Bill Simmons has come up with a pair of uncharacteristically good columns in the last week, so if you're GOING to read 1,000 words about the Patriots, his might be a good set to start with.) But I've talked to a few people about the game, the calls, the finish, etc. and I've come to a few conclusions. One, the Patriots lost that game. Not the referees. Not getting a first down on that drive late in the fourth was absolutely killer, and taking a too-many-men in the huddle penalty at that point is a sign of a team that shouldn't be going to the Super Bowl (and with the number of non-starters in there for this game, that's exactly what the Pats were). However, the three pass interference calls and one roughing the passer call in the game were the most atrocious calls/non-calls I've seen in a real long time, maybe ever, considering the circumstances. For those of you who bought into the idea that Ellis Hobbs committed pass interference because of a term you may have heard, "faceguarding," well, you're wrong. Hobbs, who at absolutely no point touched the receiver, is allowed to get in the way of the ball reaching the player without ever actually looking for it. Here is the official NFL word on Pass Interference, and for the life of me I can't even try to stretch any of those definitions to fit what Hobbs did.

That's all I'm going to say about that. [/Forrest Gump]

Finally, I'll leave you (for now) with this, my quote of the day. Remember how Gilbert Arenas, the king of "I get no respect," is making it his personal mission to exact revenge on anyone who had any hand in his being snubbed for Team USA's trip to the FIBA World Championships? (If not, here's the rub.) Well, one of those people is Mike D'Antoni, the Suns coach who was an assistant on the National Team. Arenas already went buck-wild on the Suns, and now he's eyeing the Wizards' game against Portland on Feb. 11 as his next stop on the Gilbert Arenas Vengeance Tour. Portland coach Nate McMillan was another assistant on Team USA, under Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski (spelled it all by myself!) When D'Antoni heard about all this, this was his response:

"I can’t wait to see what he does against Duke," D’Antoni said. "He’s
gonna KILL Duke."

No comments: