Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My goodness, another update.

Some bad news before the good stuff. By the time you read this, the article might be out of date, but hopefully it's for the right reasons.

A UMass alumna and excellent freelance journalist has been kidnapped in Iraq. The latest news, which is in that link, isn't good. Her captors have issued a 72-hour ultimatum, demanding that all female Iraqi prisoners be released by the United States, or she dies. Please, PLEASE keep Jill in your thoughts and/or prayers. Maybe there's a black ops unit somewhere that's about to swoop in and get her out of there.


OK, on a lighter note, Ain't It Cool's Moriarty (whose taste for movies matches mine, and whose abilities to describe those tastes far surpass mine) revealed a new version of "Kingdom of Heaven". If you missed this one, it was the *other* King Arthur-period movie from early last year, starring Orlando Bloom. I actually liked the movie, but not as much as I had hoped, and Moriarty explains why. I don't remember hearing that Ridley Scott was unhappy with the original version of the film, but I can see why. It had the chance to be on par with "Gladiator," to be a more cerebral and ultimately more satisfying movie than that "King Arthur" junk. Instead it was a little confusing, a little vague. Perhaps Scott's three-plus-hour-long director's cut will bring out all the best the film had to offer. Here's hoping. (Link stolen from Jim).

Speaking of stolen from Jim, he came up with some excellent new features on his blog, including a weekly top 10 on various topics, and a film awards thing. Check it out, because as much as I wish I came up with those things, I won't copy him. He's also seen about 80 more movies than me this year, so he'll have much better perspective.

(Oh, and he linked me, so I felt guilty. :) )

No comments: